How to Find a Great Tech Recruiter
While other industries have suffered amid Covid and the worsening financial climate, the tech industry is booming. There are 42% more tech jobs on offer in the UK and tech salaries have increased by nearly 50% since before the pandemic. Front-end developers and data scientists are particularly in demand, with their salaries both going up by over 30% since 2019.
So how do you get in on the action? What are the top ways of ensuring your CV stands out and doesn’t get lost in the rapidly-growing stream of 1s and 0s?
The best way to start working in tech is to find a great technology headhunter.
Here’s What you Should Expect from a Proper Tech Recruiter?
A tech recruitment specialist can make finding your ideal job much easier.
- They’ve already done the hard work — The best tech recruiters have already spent time building good relationships with the kinds of companies you want to join. Since you don’t have to spend time scrolling job listings, you get to focus on perfecting your interview technique.
- They can advocate for you — Knowing your USPs and getting them across to a prospective employer can be difficult. If you struggle when it comes to selling yourself and your skills, a tech recruiter can do the job for you.
- They know what to look for — A good tech recruiter has an in-depth knowledge of industry-specific positions and salaries. Unlike a general recruitment company, a tech recruiter will understand what you’re looking for, what you should be earning, and where you need to go to find the right kind of roles.
- They can improve your employment chances — Tech recruiters offer invaluable insight when it comes to perfecting your CV and working on your interview technique. The best recruiters also stay up-to-date with the latest in technology, so can help you identify any areas where you may need to upskill.
What do you Need to Look For in a Tech Recruiter?
There are hundreds of tech recruiters in the UK, so how do you go about finding the right one? Here are some of the key traits you should be looking for.
- Specialisation — Lots of recruiters may say they can get you a job in tech, but make sure you’re working with an actual technology headhunter to get access to the most relevant companies and the most tailored experience.
- Genuine interest — If a recruiter contacts you, make sure they’re genuinely interested in you and your career (not just cold calling and fishing for clients). Ask your recruiter why they want to work with you and how their experience relates to the kind of roles you’re looking for.
- Personalisation — As well as a real interest in helping you find work, a good tech recruiter should offer a personalised service. That means they listen to you when you tell them your ideal job titles, salary, and career goals. Your recruiter should also offer personalised advice and help with the application process.
- A good success rate — Don’t be afraid to seek out reviews or ask your recruiter about their success rate in your industry. You want to be certain you’re working with the best recruitment company for your requirements.
- Good communication — You should have a good relationship with your tech recruiter, where you feel comfortable and able to communicate your needs. That includes being open about companies you don’t want to apply to, or whether your recruiter can change your CV without consulting you. It’s also good to be on the same page about how often you can expect updates or meetings.
- A hiring timeline that suits you — Don’t forget to enquire about your recruiter’s usual timeline. Make sure to ask them how their process works, what you can expect, how long they think the job hunt will take, and if there’s anything you can do in the meantime. This is especially important if you need to give your current employer an idea of when you’re leaving, or if you need to prepare to relocate for work.
How to Get the Best out of Your Recruiter
Good recruiters know how to find you your dream job in tech, but the process is always a two-way street. Here are some things you can do to help your recruiter help you:
- Be honest — Your recruiter’s job is to find you work, and they can’t do that if you embellish your skills and experience. Being honest is also important for making sure you land in the right company and don’t end up in a job you hate or can’t manage.
- Be clear about your goals and expectations — Get a good idea of the titles you’re interested in, your goal salary, and any dealbreakers you might have (like flexible working) before going to a tech recruiter. They need to know exactly what you want in order to help you find the right position. Being upfront about your expectations not only saves your recruitment time, but speeds up your hiring process too.
- Brush up on your interview skills — Working with a tech recruiter means you get more time to spend preparing for interviews and doing your research on potential employers. Your recruiter should also be able to give you some insight into the interview process at companies they’re familiar with, so don’t forget to pick their brains.
- Be available — You can make your recruiter’s job easier by being as responsive as possible throughout the hiring process. Answer calls, respond to emails promptly, and have your calendar to hand so you can book in interviews as soon as possible. This shows any prospective employers that you are keen and interested, which could give you the edge over another candidate.
Why You Need a Tech Recruiter as a Hiring Company
If you’re a company with a role to fill, it can be tempting to carry out the hiring process yourself. But working with a tech recruiter to find a new employee has plenty of advantages.
- It saves you time — According to Glassdoor, the average time it takes to hire and onboard a candidate is 23.7 days. That’s why it’s often more cost-effective to hire a recruiter than it is to spend nearly a month of your own time on the process. Tech recruiters already know how to develop recruitment strategies, create job descriptions, assess candidates, and best represent your company at hiring events. So you don’t have to do any of it.
- Tech recruiters are experts — The current climate in tech is extremely competitive, and not just for employees. With tech workers so in demand now, specialist recruiters can tell you exactly what you need to be offering to secure the best talent. They’ll be able to advise on going rates, flexible working, and benefits packages. Tech recruiter expertise can also come in handy if you’re hiring a technology expert but you’re not a tech company yourself. Your recruiter might have a better understanding of what you should be looking for in an employee.
- The best recruiters have the best candidates — Using a tech recruiter is also a great way to streamline your hiring process. If you choose an experienced, reliable recruiter, they’ll have an existing pool of talent you can pick and choose from. Not only does this save you time, but it ensures you find the best person for the job.
How to Find a Tech Recruiter as a Hiring Company
Here’s what to look for when choosing a tech recruiter to work with.
- Experience in your field — “Tech” covers a broad range of specialties and job titles, so make sure the recruiter you choose has experience finding candidates in your specific remit. Ask about their current talent pool and whether they’ve had experience hiring for the same or similar roles in the past.
- A workable time frame — Are you prepared to wait for the right candidate? Or are you in a rush to fill a crucial position? Make sure your recruiter can handle your time frame. The best recruiters should be able to help you fill your roles even at the last minute.
- Experience with your kind of business — Are you a small business with a small management team? Or do you have a large HR team who’ll be dealing with your recruiter? Ask any prospective tech recruiter whether they have experience working in similar companies to yours. That way you’ll know they’re the right fit.
- Interest in your company — The best tech recruiter will take an in-depth interest in your company. They’ll want to hear about the kind of people you like to work with, what’s important to you as a business, exactly what you expect from employees, and what you offer too. That’s how you know a tech recruiter is truly interested in matching you with a candidate who shares your values and goals, and who’ll fit right into your workplace.
- A history of success — Look for reviews and word-of-mouth recommendations. Or, simply ask your recruiter about how successful they’ve been in the past, especially in finding candidates in your sector. The really good recruiters have success stories.
How Can Bristow Holland Support You With Your Tech Recruitment Needs?
Here at Bristow Holland, we’re proud to offer all of the above (and more) to both our clients and candidates.
We provide an extremely personalised approach, taking time to learn about every client’s values, goals, and needs. It’s important to us that we match candidates and employers who share these key characteristics — so we know that both sides will be happy with the end result.
We’re also IT experts. We have a range of consultants who specialise in different fields, including software development, business analysis, business intelligence, software implementation, and testing. We have years of experience and extensive knowledge of the tech market, meaning we can advise on salaries, role requirements, and upskilling.
Whether you want to find your next job in tech, or you’re a company looking to make the most of everything a specialist tech recruiter can offer, Bristow Holland would love to hear from you. Simply contact us today to see how we can help.